Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Immigrant, Montana by Amitava Kumar


I can't describe this book in any other way that to say it was really strange.  I persevered because I was curious about what would happen, but I wouldn't say I really liked the book.

It tells the story of Kailash, an immigrant from India who is a graduate student in New York City.  He is trying desperately to fit in and, in particular, to find a girlfriend.  So we learn a lot about his sexual desires and exploits as well as his success, and lack thereof, with various women.  In some ways he seems naive, in others just a bit obsessive.

There is also a bit of information about his past and his family in India as well as one of his professors and his political leanings.  You can tell Kailash is trying hard to adhere to the political views of others in order to fit in, but I never really got a sense of what he believed in.  He seemed very wishy-washy in his efforts to be accepted.

In all I wouldn't really recommend this book although it did get good reviews so others apparently liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment