Friday, March 22, 2019

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

This is another book I conquered for my library reading challenge.  One of the topics was to read a book you tried once before but couldn't get through.  That was a bit difficult for me because I rarely allow myself to give up.  In fact, The Red Tent was the only book I could even think of.

So, I made it through this time, but I still don't know what all the fuss is about.  I really can't understand why this book was a runaway bestseller.  While the premise is interesting - retell the story of the Old Testament mothers from the perspective of the women, in particular Dinah, daughter of Jacob and Leah - I often just found myself bored.  It was also sometimes a bit difficult to keep all the characters straight - I knew their names from the Bible, of course, but I couldn't always remember what Dinah had told us about them which would have been helpful at times.

Given this book is old and well known, I don't feel the need to give a long drawn out review, I just thought I'd share my unpopular view that I just don't get why this book was so popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment