Monday, February 9, 2015

Friendship by Emily Gould

In a word or two - don't bother.  This book deals primarily with the friendship between Bev Tunney and Amy Schein, two thirty year old women in New York who have been friends for years.  Or at least they describe themselves as friends - but Amy is so completely self absorbed I don't know how Bev can even stand her.  In fact, it seems like Bev initiated the friendship, kept it running and was the only one who cared when times got tough.  Not that Bev was perfect either, she could not hold down a job, moved across the country for a guy who ended up cheating on her under her nose (though it took her a long time to figure it out - apparently she had a pattern of trusting people who were only in it for themselves), was estranged from her family and, frankly, I was glad the book didn't last past when she had a baby as I'm sure she would have screwed that up too.

I know real people are flawed and everything, and I don't think fictional characters need to be super-human, but I just didn't like these characters enough to enjoy the book.  For me there were no redeeming qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment