Friday, January 31, 2014

The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth


This young adult trilogy has been compared to The Hunger Games.  It does deal with the United States in some specified future time when there has been major war and everyone is living in an alternate, tyrannical society.  It also centres on a strong young female heroine and her love interest.  But it is not nearly as well written as The Hunger Games.

I did enjoy all the descriptions of futuristic Chicago - the lake now a swamp, the Hancock Tower a shell which the teenagers use to bungee jump from...I also admired the main characters, Tris and Tobias.  But eventually the repeated struggles, killings, uprisings, chases, fights and reconciliations became too repetitive.  Though I will say the end of the third book was not what I predicted - nor did I really feel satisfied by it.

I'd read The Hunger Games first, but if you're looking for another scifi YA trilogy, this was entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment