Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Jewish War by Tova Reich

I actually hated this book.  If it wasn't on my book club list, I would have put it down early on but I struggled through so I can talk about it in our session.  The premise is that several fanatical American Jews move to Israel during the Six Day War to fight for its survival.  It spans several years until in the 1990s, disillusioned with the Israeli Government the fanatics secede from Israel to form an independent Judea and Samaria.  They hole themselves up in the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron, creating a sort of modern day Massada scenario.  Frankly I found the humour obnoxious (with the odd funny exception), the characters cartoon like and the story not terribly interesting.  Even the weird names chosen by the author bugged me (like Yom Tov Freud) an opposing party, a religious anti-Zionist fanatic who kidnaps Zionist children to "reprogram" them.  Not an enjoyable read at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment